Jodi McKelvin, a native of Panama City, Florida, attended law school at the Cumberland School of Law at Samford University. She began her legal career with Straus & Boies, LLP in Birmingham. Her work there focused on antitrust and class action litigation. She joined Shelby Roden in 2002. Since joining the firm, she has focused on the litigation of plaintiffs’ personal injury, wrongful death and toxic exposure cases.
Jodi and the firm were heavily involved in multi-district litigation over injuries and deaths caused by dietary supplement products that contained Ephedra, as well as toxic exposure cases against Monsanto Chemical Company for injuries caused by its pollution of the Anniston, Alabama area with polychlorinated biphenyls.
In addition to litigation, she has devoted a significant part of her practice to a developing field: Elder Law. Elder Law involves multiple areas of the law that affect adults as they age, including the need for estate planning, probate and long term care planning. She is a former Chair of the Elder Law section of the Alabama State Bar.
- Toxic Exposure
- Pharmaceutical Litigation
- Elder Law
- Estate Planning
- Alabama, 1999
- Cumberland School of Law, Samford University, J.D.
- Florida State University, B.A
- Alabama State Bar
- Alabama State Bar Elder Law Section, Chair, 2012-2013
- Birmingham Bar Association
Honors, Awards and Accomplishments
- Associate Editor, Cumberland Law Review, 1998 – 1999
- Cordell Hull Research and Writing Teaching Fellow, 1997-1998
- Deans List (all Semesters) at Cumberland School of Law